Thursday, June 26, 2008

Launching Pad

Valjean and I (this is still Giudi) spoke this afternoon with Dr. Preodor from Palliative Care and learned that PC is meant for very short-term stays, usually 5 to 7 days. For a longer stay, should recovery not be in the cards, she would probably need to go to an inpatient hospice, which we will look into. ("I thought I'd go to Palliative Care and that would be the end of it," said VJ. "Apparently not.")

But it sounds like PC might be a good launching pad to inpatient hospice or other next steps. They have a social worker on the floor who can help find an appropriate place, get whatever pre-certification is required and so on. (Valjean has been waiting three days since her request to have a social worker visit her in the ICU.)

We were told that Dr. Patel, her oncologist, "is on board with" palliative care. But we have not heard from Patel herself that there are no options for treating the cancer. That meeting is scheduled for tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Valjean and Guidi,
I have an appointment with my pulmonologist, Dr. Thomas Corbridge, at Northwestern on Tuesday, and if there is anything I can do to advocate on your behalf, I would certainly do it. I you think this would be helpful, please let me know. I can be reached at 773.973.3754. My deepest thoughts are with you both
Judy

Anonymous said...

Valjean, I love you -- You are in my thoughts, my prayers, my heart --

-- Joan T. in Ashland, OR

Anonymous said...

Valjean,

People have been inquiring as to where to send cards. If you would like to receive cards please let me know the proper address via email at patcasey43@hotmail.com.

I have sent out a request to the troops to send positive thoughts and prayers to you at or about 12 noon everyday. Please consider thinking of a golden light and warm fuzzies surrounding you at that time, while receiving lots of focused love and fun thoughts.

Patricia Casey

Anonymous said...

Giudi and Valjean,

Rainbow Hospice in Park Ridge has facilities for inpatient care that might be more generous about longer-term care.

Horizon Hospice was wonderful for my family, but their services were home based with NW palliative care as short-term back up.

Kris

Anonymous said...

Giudi/Valjean,

Rainbow Hospice in Park Ridge does have in-patient care that may be more generous than the NWMH palliative care unit.

My family really appreciated Horizon Hospice, which like most Hospice programs is home based, and they used NWMH as the palliative care on a short-term basis.

Kris