Monday, July 7, 2008

Anticipation

"Looking forward" isn't something you'd normally associate with hospice, but as long as you're realistic about the boundaries, it's sometimes possible. Valjean is beginning to look forward to going home -- still in hospice care, of course -- hopefully this week.

On Sunday she took an important step in that direction: she received her oxygen through a nasal cannula (a plastic tube with forked outlet) instead of a mask. And last night she slept with the cannula instead of the bi-pap. She may go back to the mask today, at least for a while, but being able to tolerate the cannula could make things easier for her at home, possibly even allowing us to wheel her onto her back porch to enjoy that beautiful garden. Mary will set the search for 24-hour nursing care in motion today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I contacted a physician friend of mine about home care. Here is her response - I don't have much experience with any particular agency; it depends so much on the individual caregiver. I have heard good things about United Methodist Homes and Services; and All Ways Caring provides good people to the convent where my aunt is in the infirmary.

Anonymous said...

One of my neighbors is part of a family of health care workers. They are not nurses, however they are companions to the infirm. One of them is tudying to be a nurse at this time.

If you are interested in contacting them, please send an e-mail to parsley43@hotmail.com.

noreen said...

I am sending an email with what I have learned today to Guidi

Anonymous said...

Dear Ones who are caring for Valjean.
I have had great personal and professional experience with Midwest Palliative and Hospice care associated with Rush North Shore. (Google them to see their services and info) They service city areas also. My "Chicago Mother" spent 10 weeks on the inpatient unit until she died and was wonderfully cared for. I have referred clients of mine for home care and have been quite pleased. By the way, Tell Valjean "hello"--- I am her former therapist, now retired in Wyoming. I am so pleased to know the wonderful friends V. has to see her through this time.
Much love to you all,
Mary Lou Petty