Saturday, December 29, 2007

My Birthday in Pictures

As I write this, a pork tenderloin is roasting in my oven with apples, onions, and fennel, filling my apartment with appetizing smells. I figure I better enjoy my own cooking now, while I still have an appetite, and while I'm trying to bulk up.

I didn't write yesterday for two reasons: first, I left the house for the hospital at 7 a.m. and didn't return til almost 6, by which time I was sorely in need of a nap. Second, after my nap I celebrated my 60th birthday at a beautiful dinner hosted by my beloved friend, neighbor, and colleague Kym Abrams, in the company of a few close friends, whom you can see here, albeit not very well. It was a memorable party, very relaxed, great food, and just what the doctor ordered, you should pardon the expression. But by the time I got home I was ready for bed, not blogging, and so I retired without writing.

What was I doing at the hospital all day? First, getting a baseline CT scan, so that the doctors can see whether and how much the tumor is shrinking once treatment starts. The scan was not precertifed until 10 minutes before I went into the tube. This approach to precertification is apparently common practice at the Robert H.Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Care Center. They tell me it's not uncommon to receive authorization only AFTER the procedure has been performed. I find the practice decidedly disconcerting. On the up side, there was a message on my machine when I returned from the hospital that my chemotherapy has finally been authorized. This is very good news indeed and helps to set my mind at ease.
The second thing I was doing at the hospital was having a port placed in my chest, through which chemotherapy can be infused, and from which blood can be drawn as necessary. This will eliminate the need to puncture me and put a new IV in place every time one is needed. At the end of treatment the port will be removed, and as one nurse explained, everyone in the interventional radiology department will do a little dance. The little round blob in the upper right corner of the X-ray shows the port in position. You cannot see the catheter that extends from the port into an artery that goes to my heart, but there is a catheter nonetheless, and let us all hope it stays where it is supposed to stay and does what it is supposed to do, given the recent plumbing difficulties at home.

For those of you who have been following the plumbing saga, I now have a new shower head, temperature control and faucet, thanks to the good offices of Mary's plumber Bernie, who was cheaper than Tony by several hundred dollars but nonetheless darned expensive. I did not add Bernie to my photographic series titled "Men in My Bathtub," but I DID document the fabulous Ken D at work. He was here until 9 the night before my birthday drywalling and tiling the hole in the wall left by Bernie. Ken pronounced Bernie's work "excellent," and I am immensely relieved, both that Bernie knew what he was doing, and that I can now put the whole episode behind me.

My pork roast is ready, so I will sign off and set the table. Bob S and I will be leaving in an hour to go see Bette Davis in "All About Eve" at the LaSalle Cinema. Do we know how to have a good time or what? Much love, and hearty appetites to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was thinking about you all day yesterday, now I know why. A second sense perhaps? I'm so pleased you had such a perfect celebration surrounded by goddesses no less. And that your plumbing is in place! Good thing the hospital did not need to precertification for any tile repair!

I will keep in touch.