Friday, December 21, 2007

First tatoos

This is Virgil. This morning he gave me my first tatoos when I went for my mapping CT scan. The technology is amazing - data from the scan goes directly into a computer, which crunches gazillions of bits and bytes to figure out a plan for delivering maximum burn to the cancer and minimum harm to everything else. The plan then goes to plain-speaking radiation oncologistDr. M, whom we met yesterday, who blesses or refines it as she deems fit. Someone left a message that my treatment will begin January 3 at 2:30. I find this odd, since Jan. 3 is a Thursday, but presumably it will become clear as this unfolds. Given the Christmas holiday, I'm not meeting w. the oncology nurse until 12/26. Presumably at that time she will answer whatever questions I have.



This is the view lo0king up from the bed of the CT scanner, before you go into the tube. Anyway, after the CT scan I had a solemn and definitely chilling talk with the radiology nurse about possible side effects, which I really don't care to go into. As the nurse pointed out, the alternative -- not undergoing radiation therapy-- is even less palatable than potential side effects. When I got home I had a chat with the young pulmonology fellow, the intelligent and compassionate Dr. K, and he assuaged my fears somewhat.



My new housekeeper was supposed to come yesterday but couldn't find my place, so she came again today, and again couldn't find it, so after she phoned I went to pick her up at Potomac and Hoyne. I showed her around the place, gave her a set of keys, and slipped out for a haircut. Upon my return, the drippy bathroom faucet had developed into a waterfall--I don't know what she did when she was cleaning the bathroom, but I couldn't turn off the water. I left two messages for my plumber between noon and 4:30, and finally called my friend Bob S, who arrived within an hour and managed to reduce the flow to a medium trickle. At this writing, a plumber is scheduled to come tomorrow morning.



Here is Bob doing one of many good deeds. Can you tell I'm figuring out how to upload pictures to my blog? Anyway, I am ending the day in much better spirits than this morning.

My Christmas eve open house is on, as far as I know. Come early, stay late (3-11). I was going to try to see an acupuncturist tomorrow, but I have to deal with this plumber first. Maybe Sat. afternoon. I will be meeting with some steering committee members Sunday a.m. to get the ball rolling on organizing all you volunteers. For now, good night and many blessings, and I hope to see you Christmas eve.

No comments: