Monday, December 24, 2007

Goodbye Frida. Hello, Plumber?

I was thinking of canceling the trip to Minneapolis anyway. The restorative power of art (and Frida Kahlo) notwithstanding, the idea of getting to the airport two hours early, schlepping a carry-on bag all over O'Hare, sleeping two nights in a hotel when I'm not sleeping that well in my own bed, and then turning around and going back to O'Hare was rapidly losing appeal. Then Tony the plumber called this morning. His parts-meister has told him that the plan he proposed yesterday is not likely to work, and a better plan is to open up the bathroom wall and replace the entire assembly (shower head, handle, faucet, and drain), to the tune of $1899 (plus the $400 I paid him yesterday) . Tony generously offered to waive the $69.95 dispatch fee again.

This news in hand, I made my first visit to acupuncturist Dr. Fang Lin in Oak Park, at the offices of the famous Charles Lo, M.D., whom Leonard visited prior to his (Leonard's) spontaneous remission 20 years ago. I don't expect Dr. Lin to cure the cancer, but I expect she will help me survive the treatment. She showed me several acupressure points to work on when my hands (and feet, and knees, and elbows) are free, and I like her very much. I will visit her once a week prior to treatment and twice a week during treatment, as long as I'm able to travel.

I'm canceling the trip to Minneapolis in hopes of obtaining additional (and lower) estimates from two reliable plumbers and getting work on the bathroom finished before I start treatment Jan 3. I have a plumber's name from Giudi Weiss, I've left a message with another referral from Ken Davis (who might be in Mexico, Ken isn't sure). If anyone knows a good plumber who is used to working in old buildings like mine, shoot me an email pronto with contact info.

Meanwhile, merry merry and happy happy, and stop by my place anytime today between 3-10. Peace on earth. And love.

1 comment:

bonnie mcgrath said...

ooops.. i see in this later post trip cancelled to minn.. well, frieda you will see when she has another show here-- and it IS a schlep.. and plumbing problem needs resolution, i can see...
btw, your recap of the plumbing problem is quite crafty writing--you are such a natural humor columnist... and such a good one!!
i hope someone knows a good plumber for you, one who knows old buildings and doesn't charge too much...
in the meantime, feel good!!! great that you joined gilda.. and i have heard of the famous dr. lo--i have friends who are just crazy about him, swear by him,
love, b